Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Unexpected Fun at the Park

So we were off early this morning for some park time, out the door by 930 we were meeting jenn, kai, dax and jet there. When we left the house I am sure it was already 70 degrees and then when we got to the park the sprinklers were on and the kiddo's were in heaven.
And us moms rolled with it because that is what we do, that is how we roll, HA!
Well not really ha I mean I think at first I was like oh no this is going to be messy
but then after a millisecond I was like we have to start counting on this as the weather warms up it was water and park play all in one AND the wet sand that it left behind is more fun to work with.

It is always so interesting to me well two things first as an adult I have a hard time saying anything to people I know or am acquainted with, people I have not seen in ages and so I pretend I don't see them and hope that we don't look each others way at the same time. I don't know if I am just weird or if others are like that but it is always this internal conversation should I say hi should I wait for them blah blah blah silly really, really silly. Anyway Dakota gave me a great lesson today in we all love to be acknowledged, a little girl arrived at the park who is in the same dance class as dakota and I pointed her out and dakota goes running over saying her name, saying hi you want to play, what a greeting. I don't know why I am so weird but really is it that hard to say hi to people we have met even if they don't remember you.
So then the other thing I was thinking about at the park today is the whole climbing up the slide issue and I do say issue because I have seen some parents as strict enforcers of the slides are only for going down, I am not in that camp because it is something that kids really feel the need to do and it is a great challenge.

I mean really. Here is my feeling you teach your children to pay attention when a slide is not in use great climb up it all you want but when you see children at the top it is off limits.
It is funny to me because when I stand back and watch it seems so natural for them to want to climb up things, to climb up slides just like doing superman on the swings or going down the slide.
Those were my amazing thoughts at the park today.
Sleep update: Just like when she was in her toddler bed next to our bed she starts out in her room but sometime between 1130 and 200 she either calls for us, which has been her way the last few nights, or she comes walking into our room. I am fine with it although last night she was really restless for some reason and that made me have a restless night and I am sure randy as well but most nights I am ready by the time she is.

4 comments:

Jenn Kirk said...

Okay, so A) I too avoid eye contact with people I don't feel like socializing with though I know that's very rude, B) I am in 100% agreeance about climbing up slides (it's fun and I did when I was little), and C) Tues 9:30 am at the park for the rest of the summer. Yeah!

Derek said...

I am making conscious efforts lately to me more social or for me more accurately less socially retarded. As far as the slide issue, that is quite hilarious, I think I would laugh at the enforcers. I can recall times dodging the kids coming down as I was climbing up. Yet another challenge. Remember hanging from the wall that we dropped from. That was just another challenge. What would the enforcers say about that.

Mark, Jessica, Jakob, Sarah, Lily and Kona said...

I too agree with both your points, I am wierd about talking to people that maybe I don't know that well or just don't feel like talking too that day! And, agreed, slides should be for climbing also, I loved doing that as a kid. We do have the rule of no climbing if a kid is coming down though!

Dawn Suzette said...

You guys rock with the spontaneous water play! Go Moms!
Fionna is so jealous! As hard as I try I can't convince her that snow play is really water play... just in another form! She is so not buying it!
Slides are totally for climbing!