Wednesday, September 16, 2009

'mom can I say fock'

are you kidding me.......
she is 4 and this is a question i have to field.
dakota has met and little boy who lives on my parents street.
he is sweet but.........he has three older brothers.
so today we were over at my parent's house
she and the little boy were playing in their backyard.
we don't know him that well so i was hovering (really i hover no matter what)
they were out of ear shot.
then dakota comes over to me
'mom can i say fock'
i had to hold it together just because of her pronunciation of it.
i just calmly said no that word isn't a good word.
dakota looks over at her friend
'no i can't'
obviously i will be hovering a lot closer the next time they play.

5 comments:

Dawn Suzette said...

Oh my goodness! I don't know if I could have kept it together!
When I first saw the title I thought... Oh, no... schoo! Just goes to show you can't shelter them from everything but how awesome that she check in with you about it!
Fionna said "Frickin" the other day! She has only said one other "bad" word... I will have to tell you that story... too funny!

Jennifer said...

But, you can be proud of your parenting, and of Dakota for thinking before she accepted that word as OK. She asked, which means she already knew she shouldn't say it. She looked to you for answers... You can only hope that she will continue that trend when she is older and boys are telling her to do other things. :)

Derek said...

Just heard a similar story today from a coworker. I remember some soap when I was younger but not why I got it. I do remember not using bad words in front of my parents. With my friends though, that's another story.

Jen said...

Ay yi yi...these are the moments you dread as a parent! Can't we shelter them forever??
Btw, I LOVE your new profile pic, what a fabulous shot!

Jenn Kirk said...

So I guess 'Meet the Parents' won't be in your family movie night repertoire.